Sep 5, 2012

Will's Revised Topic Proposal

For the research project, I will focus on the writing construct of objectivity in articles written for an academic context. In English classes throughout high school and especially my undergraduate studies, I repeatedly heard that I must avoid using the first person in my papers. Phrases such as “I think” or “I believe” were strictly verboten. One of my professors often said that he simply didn’t care what we thought, only what we could argue based on evidence drawn from supporting texts. While I concede that such rules may force students to write stronger arguments and use more relevant quotations for evidence, nevertheless instructors ought to accept that “objectivity” in writing is a construct and a myth. Furthermore, I argue that if students consider this construct to be a fact about academic writing, then it may do more harm than good. Students following this rule may believe there is no room for their personalities and voices in formal writing assignments, and they may be more likely to find the academic articles we read and write to be boring. For evidence that objectivity is merely a construct and should not be strictly enforced, I will draw upon studies of the uses of first-person pronouns in professional academic writing, readings such as “All Writing is Autobiography” by Donald Murray, and Peter Elbow’s articles on voice in writing.

3 comments:

  1. Will,
    While banning the first person is common, there are also many classrooms that embrace it and not all are engaged in personal writing a la Elbow and Murray. WAW is one, but there are also critical pedagogies that embrace the I (cf. bell hooks).

    I think that your construct has two elements--one is that you should not use 'I' in academic writing and the other is that objectivity is mythical. There is overlap, but they are not the same thing.

    Your sources are from two well-known proponents of what is often called "expressivism." If the anti-I crew is objectivist, these are subjectivists. I suggest that you look into the conversation on this approach and some work that critiques objectivism from a perspective other than subjectivism (Notice the binary opposition.) One such perspective is called the social turn or social epistemic rhetoric. Some figures in this are James Berlin, Donald Bartholmae, and Patricia Bizell.

    --AR



    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that is David Bartholomae, not to be confused with Donald Barthelme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will,
    I think your topic is really important. Last week a student asked me if they could use I in a paper and when I told them yes, they looked at me like I had just given them the most amazing Christmas present ever. Several of them are simply thrilled that I want to know their thoughts, their opinions. I think it is definitely a construct worth pursuing.

    ReplyDelete