Sep 4, 2012

Revised Project #1 Proposal

For Project #1, I would like to explore the writing construct that states that students cannot use
 
 personal narrative or relevant anecdotes in academic writing. Originally I was going to explore the
 
 general use of first person, but my research and my previous experience working in interdisciplinary
 
 studies sparked an interest in this vein of the scholarship instead. In the research I have completed
 
 so far for my Intro and Synthesis, I have discovered that writing in many interdisciplinary fields, as
 
well as cultural studies and gender and feminist studies, employs personal narrative as a means to
 
 relate their personal experience to larger social issues. Using personal narrative also addresses the
 
value of diversity, which these fields hold dear. Additionally, related scholarship indicates that
 
teaching students how to write effective personal narratives helps build rhetorical skill sets. In my
 
paper, I will argue that absent in this discussion is a clear methodology for teachers on how to
 
introduce appropriate usage of personal narrative in writing for the interdisciplinary fields. Teachers
 
need scholarship that shows them how to teach students of interdisciplinary, cultural, and
 
feminist studies to effectively write about and contextualize their personal experiences and
 
use them as valuable primary sources for their academic papers.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds fascinating! Outside of creative writing classes, very little instruction is done on using personal narratives, even though people do of course use them, so there is a big gap. I'm excited about this!

    Jennifer Pullen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon,
    There is a lot on this in composition studies and other disciplines and your focus on the critical pedagogy area should yield plenty of material. A good source within feminist studies on your question (How to teach it) is Feminist Classrooms, eds. Sanchez-Casal and Macdonald. Their chapter in that book looks at this head-on. If you can't find it, let me know. I have a PDF of that chapter (but not the whole book).

    See also Ira Shor, Paulo Freire, Henry Giroux, bell hooks.

    --AR

    ReplyDelete